If you’ve ever wanted to know some interesting information about your hair, keep reading. Hopefully these facts will be helpful or fun. If they are neither don’t tell me. I only want to hear positive feedback… haha just kidding
- Hair grows about 1/2 an inch per month on average. According to the American Academy of Dermatology, 6 inches in a year is about the total amount of hair growth on your head.
- Keratin. I’m sure you’ve heard this word before. Our hair is made up of a protein called Keratin. This protein can be affected by hair tools and chemical process such as coloring and perming. If you purchase haircare with added keratin make sure you don’t over use it because you can over keratinize your hair causing a layer of build up.
- Dead hair, where?! Most of the hair we see is dead. The only hair that is not dead is the hair that is still inside the epidermis of our scalp – weird right? This is so interesting since we often focus on the hair that’s visible, when we should consider that what we put inside our bodies directly affects the hair that we can see!
- Trichotillomania (TTM) also known as hair pulling disorder, is an impulse control disorder, characterized by a long term urge that results in the pulling out of one’s hair. This occurs to such a degree that hair loss can be seen.
- Black is the most common hair color. Red is the rarest and only exists in about 1 percent of the worlds population, with blonde hair found in 2 percent!